[WikiEN-l] Neo-nazis to attack wikipedia- a diversion?

rose.parks at att.net rose.parks at att.net
Tue Feb 8 02:46:54 UTC 2005

Hi members,

     I very rarely post to lists, but this thread is bothering me a lot. I have read the posting on Stormfront, as well, as at least 75% of the postings on “Neo-nazi to attack.”
     Despite this, I see only editors reacting as if what they have read on this site is going to happen, and exactly as described, i.e. all members of the Stormfront site are to login as users of Wikipedia and try to influence all the articles related to their position to make them POV.
     I have little doubt that the members of this site hope to disrupt Wikipedia in a big way. But, frankly, they already _have_. Editors, who usually would be working on articles, are now developing tactics to combat this neo-nazi POV attack. This is their first success.
     Score one for Stromfront!!!
     Second, do you all really believe that if they intended to do exactly as they say, they would post their tactics openly on their site? I wonder! I think that they _do_ intend to do damage to Wikipedia, but the details are probably in private mailings among members of their community. Meanwhile, they could be using their postings as a _diversion_, and while everyone is concentrating on monitoring certain articles, they could do something entirely different to damage our site. I leave it to those more technically inclined to try to figure out what that might be….
     Just my thinking….

                                     As Ever,

                                           Ruth Ifcher