[WikiEN-l] Neo-nazis to attack wikipedia

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Mon Feb 7 12:49:54 UTC 2005

Jake Waskett said:
> Ok, Jimbo, you're right. Let me amend my earlier statement: on the
> whole, the  system is working, but in a few articles, it is not. Now,
> the question is  this: what can be done about the problem?
>
> One solution that I favour is to have permanent protection on targetted
> pages,  and have a nominated admin apply changes that are agreed upon
> by vote on the  article's talk page.
>
> What do others think?

Wikipedia doesn't work by voting, but by trusting people.  In particular,
you must never use a vote to decide whether something is NPOV.
If some people abuse that trust, we should deal with those people, not the
articles.  The vast majority of our editors can be trusted to decide which
articles to edit and not treat Wikipedia as if it was a collection of
Usenet groups.  We should try to let them get on with it.  Giving some
articles special treatment is probably not the way to go, in my opinion.