[WikiEN-l] Neo-nazis to attack wikipedia

AndyL andyl2004 at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 7 00:25:37 UTC 2005

on 2/6/05 7:16 PM, JAY JG at jayjg at hotmail.com wrote:

>> Stormfront as 43,000 members? That's rather disturbing. However, to be
>> a threat, a sizable number of them would have to be coherent or
>> articulate, else they'll be shot down as garden-variety vandalism.
>> Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we've blocked stormfront members
>> before, for making racist edits.
>
> Wikipedia would not be able to handle 43 Vogels.  Even 10 would tax its
> current resources and structure.  If 1 in 4000 is intelligent, coherent, and
> motivated, Wikipedia is in trouble.
>
> Jay.

Perhaps we need some sort of intermediate form of ongoing protection for
certain pages. Perhaps some pages should only have registered editors able
to actively edit them with non-editors only able to make suggestions on talk
pages? Perhaps other pages should be protected on an ongoing basis and only
have admins able to edit them based on proposals on talk pages which have
achieved consensus or passed a certain standard?

Andy