[WikiEN-l] Cheese Dreams/proposal for a *new* policy

Nicholas Knight nknight at runawaynet.com
Sun Feb 6 03:51:35 UTC 2005

geni wrote:
>>BT? As in British Telecom? That's terrific! More customers means more
>>complaints and more bad publicity.
>

> It means you are likely to affect admins who can and will unblock
> themselves. Would you be happy if your ISP was blocked for a couple of

As I recall, registered users are already exempt from IP blocks. The
only change needed is to prevent blocked IPs from creating new accounts.

> weeks (even suposing the ISP choses to take actionm which it quite
> well may not)? The number of complaints would be pretty low anyway we

It's a wholly moot point for me, anyway, I'm on a range of static IPs,
and those on dynamic IPs at my ISP rarely get new IPs (and it's not as
simple as disconnecting and reconnecting, you'd have to be disconnected
for many hours if not days).

> may get a lot of readers but editors are far smaller in number. We
> would be the ones on the reciving end of bad PR for hopelessly over
> reacting.

What choice do we have? There's no other effective way to block abusive
users on dialups if the ISP won't get rid of them.

I don't think anyone will blame us for trying to maintain the integrity
of an encyclopedia without running everyone off.