[WikiEN-l] Re: Cheese Dreams/proposal for a *new* policy

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 6 02:42:52 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:

>Nicholas Knight (nknight at runawaynet.com) [050206 03:51]:
>

>>Contact her ISP. If you can't get them to drop her, call the upstream
>>provider(s). If that doesn't work, block every IP range associated with
>>the ISP and tell anyone affected to complain to the ISP. Wikipedia is
>>getting big, it's time to start throwing some weight around when users
>>are engaging in wildly abusive activities.
>>

>Contacting ISPs is a step I'm really not comfortable with. Even in the case
>of Michael, when he was vandalising continuously, the only reason for
>contacting AOL was that their network was effectively one large anonymiser.
>CD is nothing like at that level. Also, there really is no reason to
>presume an ISP will necessarily give a shit. We're not paying her fees.

The one situation in which I could imagine an ISP being willing to
cancel the account of a banned user is if it's being used for something
illegal. A simple example would be uploading child pornography. So it
might work against the likes of Brother Larry (or whatever name the
diaper guy was using last), but not against CheeseDreams.

Complaining to an ISP that they're allowing somebody to edit Wikipedia
while banned would only produce incredulous responses like, "Well, you
do let anybody edit, what did you expect?" They won't think it's any of
their business to enforce our internal rules for us. Nor do I think
Wikipedia has any real weight to throw around here; if we tried to make
a public issue out of it, the publicity would do more damage to
Wikipedia than to the ISP.

--Michael Snow