[WikiEN-l] Cheese Dreams/proposal for a *new* policy

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Feb 5 23:46:40 UTC 2005

Nicholas Knight (nknight at runawaynet.com) [050206 03:51]:

> Contact her ISP. If you can't get them to drop her, call the upstream
> provider(s). If that doesn't work, block every IP range associated with
> the ISP and tell anyone affected to complain to the ISP. Wikipedia is
> getting big, it's time to start throwing some weight around when users
> are engaging in wildly abusive activities.

Contacting ISPs is a step I'm really not comfortable with. Even in the case
of Michael, when he was vandalising continuously, the only reason for
contacting AOL was that their network was effectively one large anonymiser.
CD is nothing like at that level. Also, there really is no reason to
presume an ISP will necessarily give a shit. We're not paying her fees.

At this stage I see nothing wrong with letting her bust a gut creating
sockpuppets and "editing proxies" and extending a short ban into infinity.
There are quite enough admins watching her favourite articles to keep an eye
on her while the rest of us get on with writing an encyclopedia.

- d.