[WikiEN-l] me and my 3RR block

Dante Alighieri dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com
Thu Feb 3 17:44:29 UTC 2005

I'd just like to take a moment to "defend" my actions in blocking Slrubenstein and Jalnet2. I have no problem with Slr, with whom I've had a very pleasant and civil discourse on the subject (and who, incidentally, I do not think was "whining" about the 3RR, he has some very valid points). My attention is focused towards some individuals who I shall not name (*cough* Ec *cough*) who seemed to be implying that I was somehow "lying in wait" for any excuse to block someone over the 3RR and that I have "as much social grace as an enraged gorilla". Please allow me to respectfully disagree.

I responded to a DIRECT request that Slrubenstein be blocked for violating the 3RR. Note that this direct request was posted not only on the Admin noticeboard, but on my Talk page. Now, in my opinion (as someone who reads the 3RR to mean what it SAYS, "three reverts to the same ARTICLE in 24 hours") was that Slr had obviously violated the rule. That he had pretty clearly been baited was irrelevant. How would it have looked if we ignored a straightforward violation by a longtime contributor and told the "new guy" that he had "done it too" and that that somehow made it OK?

I can't believe I'm getting grief for enforcing policy as I'm SUPPOSED to do as an Admin. Shouldn't we project an appearance of propriety? Shouldn't we block our "friends" as well as our "enemies"?

Anyway, I'd also like to point out that I'm not certain that the ArbCom (which is currently reviewing the 3RR) has the authority and jurisdiction to do so unless the question is raised in a case which they are hearing. I suggest that Slrubenstein either request Arbitration against the rule itself (if that seems feasible within the bounds of our system) or else against me for blocking him (which is probably the best bet, and to which I don't object) so that the ArbCom can officially look into the matter.

-Dante