[WikiEN-l] me and my three reverts

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Feb 2 17:56:04 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>--- "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>

>>Tony Sidaway wrote:
>>

>>>You couldn't compromise with your fellow editors so you were benched.
>>>Tough, but that's how it is.
>>>

>>I don't agree with this attitude at all.
>>

>Me neither. Tony's whole email seemed unnecessarily mean-spirited to me.

It's all about a literal vs. a common sense approach to rules.  A
strict  literal interpretation which Tony has apparently applied then
starts to beg questions like, "How exactly do we interpret 'revert'?"
Lying in wait like a stalking lion for anyone to violate the 3RR
anywhere is clearly an abuse of process

Before applying such a rule people need to look at what is going on to
see if there is any hope that the warring parties may find a solution.
There is no obligation to ban anybody on a fourth revert as soon as it
is made; it merely becomes an available tool if it should be necessary.

>>His point in this
>>particular case is that a mechanical rule like 3RR is flawed when it
>>is applied in this fashion.  The reverts were to different aspects of
>>the article, and the participants were communicating.
>>

>No argument from me there. But that opinion on how the 3RR should work is
>apparently a minority one. I base this on asking several other ArbCom members
>and making an inquiry on the 3RR talk page. The rule states 'no more than 3
>reverts on any page in 24 hours.' Most people take that very literally (for
>better or worse). I interpret 'reverts' to be the same or substantially the
>same revert. Oh well.

Literalism creates unhappy communities.  The people who use it may be
perfectly correct, but have as much social grace as an enraged gorilla.

>>Now, my own personal opinion, and this might be one that Steven
>>shares, is that given the ongoing problems with revert wars and
>>pointless edit wars in general, the 3RR is necessary and useful *even
>>though* it also has some unfortunate negative side effects.
>>

>I also share that opinion.

If in the course of these reverts there is also movement in the
controversy, that is a sign of progress.  The possibility remains that
the combatants may find an agreeable solution after a few more reverts.
The 3RR can prevent the solution.

Ec