[WikiEN-l] me and my three reverts

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 15:26:09 UTC 2005

--- "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> Tony Sidaway wrote:
> > You couldn't compromise with your fellow editors so you were benched.
> > Tough, but that's how it is.
>
> I don't agree with this attitude at all.

Me neither. Tony's whole email seemed unnecessarily mean-spirited to me.

> Steven is a longtime, high quality editor.

Very much so, yes.

> His point in this
> particular case is that a mechanical rule like 3RR is flawed when it
> is applied in this fashion.  The reverts were to different aspects of
> the article, and the participants were communicating.

No argument from me there. But that opinion on how the 3RR should work is
apparently a minority one. I base this on asking several other ArbCom members
and making an inquiry on the 3RR talk page. The rule states 'no more than 3
reverts on any page in 24 hours.' Most people take that very literally (for
better or worse). I interpret 'reverts' to be the same or substantially the
same revert. Oh well.

> Now, my own personal opinion, and this might be one that Steven
> shares, is that given the ongoing problems with revert wars and
> pointless edit wars in general, the 3RR is necessary and useful *even
> though* it also has some unfortunate negative side effects.

I also share that opinion.

-- mav