[WikiEN-l] The difficulty of retaining volunteer writers

stevertigo vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 02:17:59 UTC 2005

> I've resisted taking this to the arbcom because he
> will turn it into a circus, and also because I
couldn't face going through all the diffs
> and having the whole thing repeated yet again.

The Arbcom - "a circus?" You must be joking. Maybe if
they... well... who listens to Me anymore? (Me Me Me).

> I've been on the verge a couple of times of writing
to Jimbo for help, but didn't because that puts him on
the spot. I've
> also been on the verge of leaving, but
> I don't want to let someone like that drive me away.

Yes, the great founder can't go around making
everybody feel better. "It hurts right here..."

> Now, because Ed Poor recently blocked FuelWagon for
> three hours over a personal attack on me, FuelWagon
has seized his chance and has taken Ed to the arbcom,
where he will hold >court for several weeks, perhaps
several months, and all the >allegations will have to
be responded to.

Its funny how, in contrast with my Arbcom ("you broke
the rules!") Ed's violations require "defending" and
so forth. Ed's famous ((soothing vibe)) is indeed
something to behold, but wouldn't things work out
better if the Arbcom could be trusted to actually
review its cases and debate each point openly? Theres
a little AGF missing I suppose...

> There has to be a better way to deal with users like
> this. For example, we could set up a small committee
of
> experienced editors, a
> subcommittee of the arbcom and subject to the
> arbcom's jurisdiction, whose job it is to identify
when a user >is trolling, stalking, or harassing, and
we give that committee >the power to deal with it
there and then, using blocks of >increasing length for
each instance of it. I
> know this has drawbacks (accusations of cabalism),
> but I feel the benefits would greatly outweigh them.

No, this is wrong. Sorry you feel stressed out SV, but
thats the way it goes. Take it with a grain of salt,
as they say. Go on a wikibreak -- take a wikicruise.
WPh will still be here when we're all dead and gone.
Etc.

With the mandatory consoling out of the way, I have to
say its funny how the real "drawback" of cabalism
(according cabalists presumably) is the "accusations
of cabalism," and not the cabalism itself... and the
distance such represents from the Open Model (i.e. the
"lets see if this works" philosophy which built
wikipedia up to begin with. Sure, theres the GFDL and
a strongly egalitarian ethos too...).

But I liked Fred's idea of having official prosecutors
and defenders represent each case in some clear terms.
Prosecutors will take complaints and sort evidence,
etc. And defenders will challenge the Arbcom to hold
some perspective in the application of 'da rulz.' Of
course, those positions would not be paid positions
either... ("but Ive spellchecked every article for the
correct use of 'i before e'..." ). In anycase, Slim,
you seem to be another one on the boat for
[[WP:DRR|overhauling the dispute resolution process in
some general way shape or form]].

True, Wikipedia 'is a project to create a free
encyclopedia and not a free internet democracy,' but
IMHO authoritarian measures have usually proven
themselves to be mistakes. Of course, theres some
tinkering going on as we speak (you can hear it if you
listen closely). Question as always is: will the
tinkering break the machine?

Stevertigo

:''The user name above is incorrect for [[who
cares?|technical reasons]]. The correct title is
stevertigo.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/FuelWagon_2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:FuelWagon&oldid=25272763#ideal