[WikiEN-l] New Tool Suggestion, WAS: A cry to save the Asperger's Syndrome page

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Thu Aug 25 16:10:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 01:21:34AM +0000, Zachary Harden wrote:

> >From: Ryan Norton <wxprojects at comcast.net> 22 Aug 2005 18:19:20 -0700
> >
> >>Ok, so I voted to have the FA status removed from the article.Also, if you
> >>payed attention,
> >
> >And I did realize this Z and I thank you for your contributions, but I have
> >to ask - why is this user not banned for 24 hours?  Is it because he claims
> >"injustice" etc. so admins fear getting involved?
>
> I just got involved. I was being asked to block the user before in IRC, but
> as you can tell, he always edits by using IP's, so the likely hood of the
> block working is zero to none, closer to none.  > Regards,
> Zachary Harden

Hmmm...   Suggestion:

When a page is in this type of "trouble", is it possible that one more
tool in the toolbox would help?

That would be a tag which means a page is only editable from a
logged-in Wiki-account.

All logged-in edits to the page would be processed as usual.

When an non-logged in user opened the edit tab on that page they would
get a message indicating that page's special status and a chance to
login or register.

The logic is straightforward. How much work this would be to add is
an unknown, as is how much of a load increase it would add to the
wiki-servers. I'm happy to contribute code if needed.

(Blindingly simplistic ascii flow chart starts here)

User clicks edit tab

Is user logged in ? ---->  YES ---> allow edit

     NO

Redirect to a special message page

      |-----> user logs in ------>  allow edit

      |-----> user registers ---->  allow edit

All others choices are the user using the normal wiki or browser
navigation features to go somewhere else. (BACK, Search etc..)

I'm new to this list, if this has been discussed before please
disregard.

--
speech recognition software was used in the composition of this e-mail