[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 22:53:00 UTC 2005

--- slimvirgin at gmail.com wrote:
> As David Gerard has said: "Wikipedia is not an experiment in Internet
> democracy. It's a project to write an encyclopedia." The encyclopedia
> is the thing that matters,

The encyclopedia could actually be improved by someone editing who has neo-Nazi
beliefs; that is, if we're serious about NPOV on articles like [[Neo-Nazism]]
and so forth.

> and Amalekite was out to subvert it for the
> good of his own tiny-minority cause, not for the good of Wikipedia.

Well, he's said some things that might make you think that. But maybe he just
wants to improve Wikipedia by, as he might see it, NPOVing biased articles?
Maybe he doesn't, but it's possible; he has said "follow the rules of the place
- no insults or personal attacks, no Jew-bashing (though they so richly deserve
it), try to keep a Neutral Point-of-View (NPOV), and stay cool, no matter how
hard they push your buttons."

The truth is, it's a tricky thing to divine someone's true intent from their
postings in wacky forums outside of Wikipedia. It's *much* safer, not to
mention more accountable and transparent, to watch their actions within
Wikipedia carefully and act accordingly.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com