[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Tue Aug 23 16:04:41 UTC 2005

> I would like to say that the primary goal of wikipedia is not a to be
> a social experiment, but to build an encyclopedia. I am a strong (very
> strong) supporter of due process when it comes to good faith regular
> contributers, but in this case we all know what kind of a guy this is.
> He will not help build an encyclopedia, therefore he should be
> blocked, regardless of his crimes on the wiki itself. There are no
> absolute laws on wikipedia, and I think this is a valid use of WP:IAR

I strongly disagree. You cannot assume he will not help build an
encyclopedia because you think you "know what kind of a guy this is". He
arguably already has helped build an encyclopedia. I think all of his
edits were made in good faith so that even by your criterion he deserves
due process.

I'm also sure Rachel acted in good faith by banning him. But since it has
since become clear that there is no consensus for this ban I think it
should be lifted. I would be fine with an alternative remedy - a stern
warning / RfC / RfA / mentorship etc.

Regards,
Haukur