[WikiEN-l] Re: A neo-Nazi wikipedia

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Tue Aug 23 10:06:24 UTC 2005

> I take your point, Matt, but I feel you ought to have discussed this
> with the blocking admin, rather than undoing the block. I would also
> argue that for a Wikipedian to draw up a list of other editors by
> their perceived ethnicity, and to post that list on a racist website,
> is highly provocative, and I don't see how it can be detached from his
> actions on Wikipedia.

It is a list of those belonging to a "Zionist cabal". That's not a
statement of ethnicity. I personally find it more amusing than offensive
but I understand that people can legitimately feel differently. Perhaps
this action is worthy of a ban but I would have preferred a more formal
procedure preceding it.

> He wasn't blocked for being a member of
> [[Vanguard News Network]] or [[Stormfront]], but for his actions in
> encouraging anti-Semites and racists to target Jewish editors, and for
> encouraging them to violate policy by creating sockpuppets and using
> open proxies.

As far as I can see it was another poster who made that suggestion.
User:Amalekite replied with this:

"Signing up for a Wikipedia account and editing articles under that
account instead of editing anonymously will greatly reduce your chances of
being banned. It's much harder for them to claim you're a "vandal" if
you've been making valid contributions to Wikipedia regularly, and kicking
off a registered user is a much bigger deal and requires more
justification on their part than banning an anonymous user. Signing up for
an account there is easy "

> I don't see why we should have to wait until the
> disruption begins before blocking him. He tried to cause massive
> disruption: that he (appears to have) failed was simply down to the
> others' lack of response.

In a charitable interpretation he tried to recruit new editors who would
agree with his POV on a particular issue within compliance of Wikipedia
rules. I've tried that too - with much the same luck...

In my personal opinion, and assuming I have the facts right, the user in
question should be unblocked again.

Regards,
Haukur