[WikiEN-l] Viral marketing?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Aug 16 17:00:27 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:
>>I'd assume that a body corporate like the BBC would have its own range
>>of IP adddresses. If they will hold us to ransom, we could quite easily
>>block their entire IP range from editing, consequences be damned; better
>>yet, encourage people (read: slashdot users) to DDoS BBC until they
>>cease and desist.
>>Remember, it's our site, we make the rules.
>
> Y'know, diplomacy does have a lot going for it as a first option.

Indeed.  And I worked at the BBC with Angela for 2 weeks last fall and
met and spoke to a total number of people in the hundreds.  I think it
is safe to say of the BBC as an organization that they know about
Wikipedia, they love Wikipedia, and they aren't the sort of idiots who
would try a viral marketing campaign relying on Wikipedia.

Bright people, and friendly.  Like Wikipedians. :-)

--Jimbo