[WikiEN-l] Welcoming Peter C. Wayner and...

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 15:59:38 UTC 2005

On 15/08/05, Daniel P. B. Smith <dpbsmith at verizon.net> wrote:

> But. Maybe ten per cent of these articles were puff pieces on
> subtrivial aspects of Dartmouth student life, talking about some
> student activity in language that would have been appropriate to a
> recruiting brochure, traditional games played in certain living
> units, and so forth. The sudden arrival of a few dozen pieces of
> Dartmouthcruft brought out the very worst in the Wikipedian community.

Assuming good faith, all these Dartmouth students will want to write a
_useful_ article for their course credit. So, let's help them do so.

Would it be worth putting together a quick welcoming page, targeted at
these students (and anyone else coming along later on the same sort of
project, since there will be more), which points out resources like
[[Wikipedia:Requested articles]], [[Wikipedia:Requested article
translations]] (hey, *I'd* offer bonus credit for a translation),
[[Wikipedia:Most wanted articles]] &c, with some notes on the kind of
thing we'd really like and the kind of thing we'd discourage?

This'd also serve as an opportunity to make links like the Help Desk
clear, mention the talk pages of some users willing to assist, &c
&c... thoughts?

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk