[WikiEN-l] What's wrong with the world?

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Aug 6 14:55:17 UTC 2005

Haukur Þorgeirsson (haukurth at hi.is) [050806 07:28]:

> On the Norse mythology articles, which is
> my primary sphere of interest on Wikipedia,
> irrelevant fancruft tends to accumulate and
> distract from the main content of the entries.
> For an example see [[Yggdrasil]] which has
> a large Popular Culture section and a disambiguation
> entry, both of which could be summarized with
> "a bunch of things in a bunch of games/novels/etc.
> have been named after the mythological Yggdrasil".
> Sometimes I snap and delete some of the stuff.
> For example I removed the following from [[Fenrisulfr]]:
> "Fenrir appears as a summonable character in Squaresoft's Final Fantasy
> IX. Also it is a summonable creature in Final Fantasy XI."

See [[Lilith]] for what seems so far to be a stable solution to this
problem: all the pop culture is in [[Lilith (disambiguation)]]; and after
someone re-added the ==Lilith in popular culture== section, I made that
section's entire contents "See [[Lilith (disambiguation)]]". You'll
probably want to do that with quite a lot of the pop-culture-infested Norse
mythology articles.

- d.