[WikiEN-l] block open proxies only for non-logged-in users please

Tor Ville tor_ville at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 21:17:24 UTC 2005

Your policy of indiscriminate blocking of edits from
IP addresses of the TOR anonymous network is a serious
violation of individual privacy. At the moment you
generate a "User is blocked" page as tor is classified
as "open proxy".
OK, I understand that you want to prevent abuse from
open proxies when the use is not logged in, but WHY
BLOCK LOGGED IN USERS who use the Tor network only
because they don't want everyone (and any government
agencies) to be able to track what they are personally
interested in.

Please block only users who are not logged in from
open proxies. Abuse from logged in users can be dealt
with by blocking the user rather than the IP of the
open proxy. Please don't be indiscriminate, please
don't block innocent users who prefer privacy.

This is very important. I realized I cannot edit
Wikipedia any more if anyone can check everything I am
interested in. Thanks!