[WikiEN-l] Critics & weak articles

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Apr 26 19:43:21 UTC 2005

Bryan Derksen wrote:

> Personally, all I really want out of a sifter-type process is "this
> has been checked and is not blatantly vandalized or currently an
> active battleground, and the spelling looks okay to me." IMO a sifter
> like this would take a lot of stress off of editors who, rightly or
> wrongly, feel the need to keep a constant watch over articles and
> "fix" them instantly when problems crop up. It would also allow us to
> feel comfortable stamping ten thousand CDs without the fear that the
> database dump was taken at the exact moment a vandal stuck in
> something dreadful that is now immortalized in dimpled aluminium. All
> the standard Wikipedia disclaimers should still apply.
>
> Once we have that, then maybe we can start looking at ways to produce
> an even more rigorously proofed versions that includes fact checking.
> I'm not in a hurry. :)

This sounds like exactly the right approach to me.  What's more, it fits
nicely with the incremental-improvement process we've used so far.
Writing top-quality articles from scratch a la Nupedia turned out to be
fairly hard, but incrementally improving articles has worked quite
well.  Incrementally verifying articles might likewise have some
advantages over trying to make a leap from "this could be anything,
including random vandalism" to "this has been verified by experts in the
field as the Perfect Article".  There's always a risk of *too* much
complication, but a few simple levels of verification, starting with
"this revision is not vandalized, not in the midst of an edit war, and
not obviously glaringly bad", would be nice.

-Mark