[WikiEN-l] Re: Prudishness and censorship

mbecker ™ wikimb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 22:58:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:29:17 (GMT), jfdwolff at doctors.org.uk
<jfdwolff at doctors.org.uk> wrote:

I don't want to get involved with this discussion, and like others on
the various mailing lists that these (sometimes childish) arguements
have ensued I have chosen to ignore the many threads for quite
sometime. I would like to respectfully ask that these conversations
please be moved off list to the appropriate pages. May I suggest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Profanity
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Should_Wikipedia_Use_Profanity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Content_disclaimer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Graphic_and_potentially_disturbing_images
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_censorship
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_use_policy

Also, concerning the following statement:

>I find links to porn sites, especially with a clear disclaimer, much
less troublesome than images that pop up without warning.
> JFW

I have never had any issue with images poping up on Wikipedia, and
certainly not without warning. We
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Content_disclaimer which
explicitly says "Wikipedia contains many different images, some of
which are considered objectionable or offensive by some readers." I'd
consider that a reasonable warning. Anyway, this is not my main issue.
Please move these conversations off list.
Thank You!

--
Michael Becker