[WikiEN-l] Prudishness and censorship

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 19:21:09 UTC 2005

--- jfdwolff at doctors.org.uk wrote:
> Avoiding these images, or having a Preferences key
> to prevent their display, is NOT censorship. It is
> part of achieving the goal of Wikipedia, as I have
> argued above. It is also not a violation of NPOV, as
> an image is not a POV. It is being plain sensible,
> sensitive and broad-minded.

I love how those who are trying to censor Wikipeida
are calling THEMSELVES broad-minded.

And they continue to fail to address where the line is
drawn.  The author contends that we should cater to
the millions of people worldwide who would be offended
by Ms. Winslet's blurry breast, but makes no
suggestion to remove all images of women's faces,
which would obviously offend our Muslim readers.  Or
the images of the massacre of Nanking, or the image of
the naked girl running from napalm.  Or the image of a
man with a gun to his head.  Or the image of Rachel
Corrie about to be mowed down by a bulldozer.

RickK