[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Block

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:09:00 UTC 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carl Prine <cprine at tribweb.com>
Date: Apr 18, 2005 8:58 PM
Subject: Block
To: wikien-l-owner at wikipedia.org

Hello.  I have been trying to resolve a highly contentious issue for
some time.  I have sought to complain about it, but after doing so I
was "blocked" by the person I believe is the chief offender, Gamaliel.

Here is the background:

I would like to ask for assistance.

There has been an ongoing, bitter, dispute between me and two
"administrators" who have sought to selectively edit an entry on the
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Tribune-Review).

Earlier versions of the encyclopedia entry included patently
offensive, erroneous and frankly libelous contentions, including the
malicious lie that the newspaper had called the wife of a prominent
presidential candidate a "lesbian."

This aside was created by a user called Gamaliel, and supported, for a
time, by another user called Willcmw.

A review of their collaboration can be found at
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Gamaliel/Archive_3.

A mediator did arrive, long after I requested one, and long after I
had worn down the others, dissuading them from printing erroneous,
unlawful and unreferenced material.

While the material disappeared, thankfully, from the main entry, it
continued to appear in the Discussion section, and the incorrect info
continued to be retrieved by Internet search engines.

While I agree that it is generally important to maintain disputed
material in archive form, this likely shouldn't apply to words that
are malicious, offensive or libelous.

I would most appreciate someone taking care of this.

At 1644 EST (USA), I removed all of the disputed material at
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Pittsburgh_Tribune-Review, only to see
Gamaliel continue to replace it.

I feel this is vandalism.