[WikiEN-l] One argument I do not find compelling

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Apr 18 17:48:17 UTC 2005

geni wrote:

>>I do not propose any a priori restrictions on access; unlike you I do not
>>propose that we appease the extreme religious right of the USA and one or
>>two less salubrious countries by applying content restrictions motivated
>>by grundyism rather than the wish to improve the encyclopedia.
>>The GFDL already guarantees that content availability is maximized. Those
>>who want a bowdlerized version can adjust their browsers or produce a
>>bowdlerized mirror.
>>

>And those who want a pornographic version can also ajust their
>browsers (by clicking yes everytime something asks to download) and
>produce a pornifed fork. I am not trying to appease the relgious right
>in the US. I am trying to appease the majority of the human
>population. Now I could be wrong but I belive that the majority on
>this planet have sex and nudity tabos. Certianly the forien language
>newspapers at my university are not notable for the level of nudity
>they carry.

I would not put what we do in terms of appeasement.  That's being
condescending to a segment.  Neville Chamberlain proved that it is not
always a successful strategy.  A policy based on Wikilove which shows
genuine respect for differing points of view would put the matter on
much sounder footings.

Ec