[WikiEN-l] Links to porn sites

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:35:57 UTC 2005

On 4/18/05, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at ctelco.net> wrote:
> I looked at one, the Mary Carey site. It is a commercial web site for sale
> of her wares, such as they are. I think she can buy advertising for that
> purpose and ought not to depend on an encyclopedia article. She is a notable
> figure, but links might be more appropriately to reports of her notable
> political activities such as running for governor of California rather than
> to her store. It's easy enough to google for it anyway.

If the store is explicitly hers, and thus has special significance, I
see no reason not to link it.  However, if it's just A store that
sells her merchandise, then it should not be listed.  Just like we may
link to Ford's web site in an article about a Ford car, but not to a
specific dealership.

If, however, the store is just part of a more general official fan
site, then linking to the main page of that fan site might be more
appropriate - just like the fan site for any other actress.

-Matt