[WikiEN-l] International Writing Contest : glory to Apollo 8

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 13:18:12 UTC 2005

Results for the March  International writing contest are out:

     http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/International_writing_contest

There were many great English submissions, and even though en: entered
the contest on very short notice, some of our submissions ranked up
there with the best articles in any language.  The top six articles,
each worthy of a long read :

   1. Apollo 8 (Evil Monkey) [the clear winner, even before audio
files were added]
   2. Reformation in Switzerland (Lupo)
   3. Spring Heeled Jack (Shauri)
   4. Kreutz Sungrazers (Worldtraveller)
   5. Oakland Cemetery (uberpenguin)
   6. Automatic number plate recognition (violetriga)

Honorable mention goes to [[Diamond]], which underwent an incredible
transformation over the course of the month, and will probably be
featured by the end of the week.  It was also the most collaborative
effort submitted to the contest, worked on actively by Bantman, Jasper
and Hadal.  However, despite seeing every paragraph and section
change, it was already a long and well-sourced article when the month
began.

Congratulations to everyone who worked on these articles.

There will be another writing and media contest in May, for materials
created primarily after April 30; hopefully with some good prizes in
the mix.  We are already seeing some innovative video contributions,
and I hope there will be some good entries next month (if you haven't
already, take a peek at this quick clip of Wikinews TV :
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Broadcast ).

If you are interested in judging either the writing or the media
submissions; or if you would like to donate a prize for one of these
contests, please leave a note on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Contests .

(NB: Both the English Wikinews writing contest and the German entries
for this past International writing contest have attracted a few
hundred dollars in prizes... )

--
+sj+