[WikiEN-l] Re: Suggestions for a work-safe encyclopedia

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Sun Apr 17 19:14:09 UTC 2005

geni said:
>> It only takes one link on an external website placed by a joker. "Hey,
>> look what they have here!"  Every single version of every article on
>> Wikipedia is URL-accessible.
>
> We are not respociple for the actions of people offsite. That fact is
> that at present wikipedia does not make a very good shock site. I
> would like to keep things this way.

Well I've just shown you that Wikipedia *is* a very good shocksite.  A
concrete example: fred1245 makes a userpage and pops the clitoris picture,
enlarged to fill the browser page, into the page, saves that and then
blanks it.  Then he posts the innocent-looking Wikipedia URL
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Fred1245&oldid=12302327 on
the Rapture Ready forum.
> The only solution is to let the users take control of their
>> own browsers. They know what they do and do not what to see.
>
> As I showed no they don't. In that version there was no way to know
> what they are going to see if they allow the image through. Uniformed
> choice is meaningless.

The picture in question is a still from a PG13 movie, placed on an article
about that movie.  If people go to that article, presumably they expect to
see stills from the movie.  If they don't, there's nothing we can do to
help them.