[WikiEN-l] Suggestions for a work-safe encyclopedia

Andrew Cranwell andrew.cranwell at student.adelaide.edu.au
Fri Apr 15 05:11:39 UTC 2005

Faraaz Damji wrote:

>The old argument is true: if you don't want to see a clitoris, then
>don't go to [[clitoris]].

<snip>

>Also, if I want to learn more about what something like
>[[autofellatio]] is, I should be able to choose to display images as a
>link if I want.  Even if I want to learn about [[autofellatio]], I might
>not want to have a picture of a guy masturbating appear right next to
>the information

Suppose I want to learn about something. I look it up in an
encyclopedia. The paper kind. I might happen to see something offensive.
But how do I know I could see something offensive unless I know what it is?

Your argument  "if you don't want to see a clitoris, don't go to
clitoris" doesn't help people who don't know what a clitoris is.
Therefore, saying "I might
not want to have a picture of a guy masturbating appear right next to
the information" falls into the same category - you can't object to
something if you don't know what it is. It's like goatse - highly
offensive, but unless you know what it is, you can't avoid it.

--
Alphax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax