[WikiEN-l] Suggestions for a work-safe encyclopedia

Faraaz Damji frazzydee at spymac.com
Thu Apr 14 19:50:48 UTC 2005

It seems that there are some who want to keep Wikipedia work-safe, and
others who want to avoid censorship.  I think that it be a good
compromise if we tagged the images individually by putting them in a
category, and somehow allowing users to filter out certain images in
their preferences.  This would require a patch in MediaWiki, but I think
it would be a good compromise, since:
a) It keeps Wikipedia work-safe/child-safe, for those who want it to be
b) It's not censoring Wikipedia since people are opting IN to it
c) People won't have to browse with images off to avoid being suprised
by offensive images
d) It doesn't affect people who don't mind these images, so we're still
providing information the same way it would be otherwise, we're just
giving people more options
e) It's easier, more precise, and more effective than turning off all images

The old argument is true: if you don't want to see a clitoris, then
don't go to [[clitoris]].  However, I think that especially if there are
semi-nude and other potentially offensive pictures in seemingly random
places, it's important to give people the liberty to view any images
they want.  Also, if I want to learn more about what something like
[[autofellatio]] is, I should be able to choose to display images as a
link if I want.  Even if I want to learn about [[autofellatio]], I might
not want to have a picture of a guy masturbating appear right next to
the information, and I should be given the liberty to choose to omit the
image without turning all images off (which many people don't know how
to do).

This would also solve the problem of not being able to censor images out
of the fear of being forced to censor images that offend very small
groups.  I'm referring a bit to the [[Owl]]/Navajo argument here.  While
most see it as ridiculous to hide images of owls on [[Owl]] just because
it offends a small minority, I think that it would be beneficial if we
allow people to individually decide whether they want these types of
images or not.  If you think that's censorship, I disagree, because it's
not banning any content, it's just giving users more power over the
display of the images than they previously had.  Since it doesn't
disrupt 'normal' users, I think it would be a great compromise to this
never-ending problem.

--Faraaz Damji (Frazzydee)

Blog: http://frazzydee.ca