[WikiEN-l] Re: Suggestions for a work-safe encyclopedia

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 17:19:15 UTC 2005

Stan Shebs wrote:

> Tony Sidaway wrote:
>
>> Stan Shebs said:
>>
>>> It's not so much whether people know how to operate the web
>>> browser, it's that it makes referring to WP an unduly risky
>>> activity. For instance, suppose I'm in the office of a less-clueful
>>> boss, and am trying to get the boss to understand a detail, and I
>>> know WP has a good explanation; it's not going to help my case if
>>> I have to ask the boss to turn off image display before I have
>>> him/her bring up a WP page.
>>>

>> Precisely. You're blaming Wikipedia for your boss's cluelessness.
>>

> Are you fifteen years old or what? I'm describing the realities
> of the workplace - responsible adults with mortgages and families
> depending on them don't get themselves fired just to make a free
> speech point. You can fulminate about it all you want, but that's
> not going to change anything.

The only workable solution is to get a text-only version.

> A WP with nudity on every page (which sounds great to me actually,
> much more interesting than what we have now :-) - I can contribute
> scans of my "nudes on postage stamps") is certainly doable, and
> will no doubt have a contingent characterizing the result as a
> "great encyclopedia", but its readership will be rather limited.
> You can expect to see a great many forks at that point, and most
> editors will likely migrate to one of them, because they're going
> to go where the readers are to be found. So the situation will
> resolve itself in favor of a somewhat restrictive image policy
> sooner or later; just a question of whether you want to do it now,
> or after a painful forking process.

Forking for nudity would essentially create pornopedia - and then that'd
fork to...

The reality of the stupid, hypocritical world some people live in -
anyone remember the Superbowl thing? Imagine if that'd been (any image
discussed on this mailing list). Now stop it, before you raise my
wikistress any further.

--
Alphax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax