[WikiEN-l] Re: Suggestions for a work-safe encyclopedia

Karl A. Krueger kkrueger at whoi.edu
Thu Apr 14 15:58:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 04:44:32AM -0400, Sj wrote:
> Sj said:
> > Perhaps we can identify some reasonable notion of "work-safeness"
>
> Let me be clear that this is not limited to images, or to nudity
> (hemi-semi or otherwise).

Whose workplace?  I know a couple who who work in a sex-toy shop.  Their
work involves using words like "clitoris" and "fellatio" (though they'd
almost certainly use earthier terms) all day.

Attempting to reduce Wikipedia to some kind of lowest common denominator
of inoffensiveness is just as absurd on the grounds of "being work-safe"
as it is on the grounds of "being child-safe".  It is an impossible
goal; but attempting to pursue it can cause untold harm to the project
in the form of chilling effects, irreconcilable disputes, and biased
coverage.

Wikipedia doesn't need censorious categorization.  We are getting on
_just fine_ without it.  Speculations of the sort, "If we don't put up
some kind of censorship, we could get sued!" are the "Niger yellowcake"
of this discussion -- a nonexistent threat that is being pounded on to
justify a preexisting agenda.

--
Karl A. Krueger <kkrueger at whoi.edu>