[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia sock puppet subscribing me to junkmail

Puddl Duk puddlduk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:24:47 UTC 2005

On 4/13/05, Christiaan Briggs <christiaan at last-straw.net> wrote:
> Recently I have had a deluge of junkmail, and I have a pretty good idea
> who it is. One of emails (below), from LeadFactory.com, included the IP
> address of the person who subscribed me.
>
> I had a hunch, considering, one, a lot of it is right-wing U.S. and
> Israeli email (of which related articles I've been editing lately) and,
> two, it's the first junkmail I've ever received at this address. So I
> plugged the address into Wikipedia and whatta ya know, a probable sock
> puppet who has been especially abusive to me recently:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:
> Contributions&target=155.84.57.253
>
> You might also like to check out some of the sock puppet's responses to
> requests to stop vandalism and 3RR:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:155.84.57.253
>
> I also did a geographic trace on the IP and they're from Houston Texas.
>
> Can this IP address be permanently banned or something? Is there anyone
> who can check the address against other usernames?
>
> Christiaan

I get a different loaction for this ip;
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=155.84.57.253

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=155.84.57.253&email=on

(US Army Corps of Engineers?, Am I doing this wrong.)

Anyway, maybe an email to the address in the second link showing what
this person is doing during company time might have some effect.