[WikiEN-l] Kate Winslet Exposure

Tom Haws hawstom at sprintmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:07:52 UTC 2005

Zoney wrote:

>Why cause offence even to a minority when it
>is trivial to avoid doing so without comprimising the article (or
>perhaps even improving it)?

This reminds me of nagging concerns I have had about many of the images
I have seen used to illustrate human private parts.

First, in too many cases they are, quite simply put, ugly or gross
images.  I realize that we specialize in harnessing dilettantism, and
that means we often get whatever can be produced off-the-cuff in a
moment or two, but we are not winning any awards in the quality
department with ugly snapshots of private parts. See [[Mull of Kintyre
rule]].  Have we no airbrushes or line-drawing artists "on staff"?

Second, also related to our dilettantism, many of the images fail to
illustrate well the subject.  At [[Nipple]] there was a profile of a
female human nipple, but there was no cross-sectional line drawing.  We
came off looking like, well, a dilettantism-driven and troll-infested Wiki.

Is an ugly or gross and controversial image better than no image at all?

Tom