[WikiEN-l] Nude Kate Winslet Picture

Kevin Rector krector at Compco.com
Wed Apr 13 14:18:50 UTC 2005

I have ZERO desire to get into a legal debate wherein I have to waste my
time "gathering evidence" and defending my accusation. Heck, I wasn't
even making an accusation, I was making an observation. My observation
may not be correct, but I have this "gut feeling" that there are people
who are uploading nude images to either 1) prove a point or 2) cause
trouble

Here's the thing Tony. By honing in on that one statement, you
completely missed my point. Now I may not have communicated my point
clearly, I often don't. Let me restate my point:

Wikipedia is a community and an encyclopedia. We should be about the
business of making a community and an encyclopedia (probably in that
order since a good community will make a good encyclopedia but a good
encyclopedia will not make a good community -- although it does help to
draw people to the community).

When something disrupts the building of community and when that
disruption provides less benefit than the potential harm to the
community (and the encyclopedia) then that something should be removed.

When images or other media files offend the sensibilities (or have a
realistic change of offending the sensibilities) of a significant
portion of our audience (or our community) then those media files should
be removed for the sake of community building. If our goal were to fight
censorship at all cost this would not be the case, but our goal is to
make an encyclopedia. Encyclopedias do not need media files; they are
nice, but ancillary.

Whether the image is good, bad, indifferent, harmful, artistic, etc. is
irrelevant. What is relevant is that is hurts our community and
therefore it hurts our encyclopedia. This is especially true if there
are viable alternatives as is the case with this picture.

-Kevin Rector