[WikiEN-l] Nude Kate Winslet Picture

Kevin Rector krector at Compco.com
Tue Apr 12 22:20:07 UTC 2005

Please see the discussion on [[Image:KateWinsletTitanic.jpg]] at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Images_and_media_for_deletion#Apr
il_11.

Here's my reply to the whole deal:

Delete -- For the same reason as Nunh-huh and DreamGuy. This adds
nothing to the article except controversy. So the only reason to keep it
in the article is to reduce WikiLove, and to increase Wikistress. I hate
all these stupid debates about nudity. We exists to be an encyclopedia
not a bastion of freedom of speech. We are here to provide information
NOT to make political statements about censorship. Having nude and/or
sexually explicit pictures in our encyclopedia upsets enough people that
it detracts significantly from the task of making an encylopedia and
that is reason enough to delete this picture (and others like it). There
is a definite agenda by the nude-picture-pushers here and it has nothing
to do with creating an NPOV encyclopedia. Kevin Rector (talk) 22:04, Apr
12, 2005 (UTC)

Now to you the mailing list:

I've tried to stay out of the fray with all the nude/porn picture
debates that have gone on, but I've come to the realization that people
are searching out nude pictures to put in the 'pedia. They are looking
to stir up trouble, mostly to make a point.

The fact that the Wikipedia "community" won't resolve these problems,
and the fact that the community so proudly proclaims that "Wikipedia is
not censored" while ignoring the fact that "Wikipedia is quite
dysfunctional" has made me realize that I need to re-evaluate if this is
a project that I want to be a part of.

Plus the politics and partisanship are really annoying.

I'm going on WikiVacation - I may or may not return.

-Kevin Rector