[WikiEN-l] No PD

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Sat Apr 9 10:28:28 UTC 2005

Property can ordinarily be given away. What is needed is clear intent. If
intellectual property is somehow an exception this would need to be
demonstrated. Definitive demonstration is probably impossible but one would
look in decisions of courts of appeal such as the Supreme Court of the
United States. I doubt they or other federal courts have addressed this
issue specifically.

I don't see how the language, "I release this image into the public domain"
would fail.

If it is not sufficient by itself, estoppel would come into play. Estoppel
is the principle that if there is forseeable reliance on your representation
you can't come along later and say that what you said didn't really mean
what it seemed to.

Fred