[WikiEN-l] Re: Oh look the evil spreads.

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 9 06:15:54 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:

>David 'DJ' Hedley (spyders at btinternet.com) [050409 03:28]:
>

>>I agree with this request, his posts appear to be delibrately disruptive and
>>are probably annoying a number of mailing list members. He has nothing good
>>to contribute to this list.
>>

>"When in doubt, do nothing." The wikien-l admins are basically reluctant to
>actively administer the list membership, as that would quickly start to
>become work. Our main job is actually to filter the spam for posts from
>humans. We'll see if Irate calms down a little.

Keep in mind also that this is where we tell people to go if they get
blocked, so that they have some avenue of appeal. Naturally, in such
situations their posts may not be the most temperate, but I think we
have to tolerate it as much as possible. If they're overly rude and
blustering, just tell them, "Nobody's listening until you calm down and
talk rationally."

On the other hand, if somebody's blocked due to a formal arbitration
ban, their avenue of appeal is to Jimbo, and that can be handled by
private email. Once they've had their due process, or if they've
effectively been hard-banned some other way (Sollog comes to mind), we
can afford to be a little less lenient about allowing them to post to
the list.

--Michael Snow