[WikiEN-l] Re: Reliable, selectable content

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Fri Apr 8 13:45:18 UTC 2005

Kevin Rector said:
>>Whatever happens, it'll be a horrible shitfight trying to cut the
> majestic
>>sprawl of en: Wikipedia down to a single concise volume. Say, fifty
>>thousand articles. WHICH FIFTY THOUSAND?
>
>>1. Whole areas will be cut out.
>>2. Areas we're particularly good in will get cut *way* back.
>>3. Endless, fractious and bloody wars over what gets in and what
> doesn't.
>
>>Is there a way around this which doesn't require someone making the
>>decision and choosing between pissing off half the community and
> pissing
>>off half the community?
>
> There is a very easy way around this, just don't do it. I won't be
> participating in a paper Wikipedia in any way whatsoever.

I don't see that it has to be that radical.  If people disagree with a
particular choice of subjects, they can print and sell their own version
with their own preferred choice.  It's all GFDL.  There's no need for
warring, except between the people who may be putting up the money to have
this project done--and I suspect this would be an outside body in any case
so it's their choice, not ours.