[WikiEN-l] Re: Reliable, selectable content

David 'DJ' Hedley spyders at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 6 21:37:03 UTC 2005

> David Gerard a écrit:
> > Anthere (anthere9 at yahoo.com) [050407 00:28]:
> >

> >>If we aim directly to our reader, our editorial policies should be more
> >>stringent, and more adapted to local specificities.
> >

> > How would you do this for en:, for example? What adaptations do you have
in
> > mind?
> >

> > - d.
>
> Filter systems so that everything is there by default, and readers can
> choose in their preferences what they would prefer to exclude or at
> least to present differently (such as inline link rather than fully
> displayed pictures)
>
> Improvement of category system, so as to improve classification system,
> allow complex queries etc...
>
> are two examples coming up immediately from my mind. Both are linked.
> And both require at the same time technical features and policy changes.
>
> But in a simple way, if the database dump can be made to download all
> content without fair use images, it could be downloadable with all
> content but certain offending stuff tagged as a special category, so
> that the result could be used in school. Of course, some would say,
> "kids should see everything" or "this content is not problematic".
>
> So, we do not do it, and keep it all.
>
> And wikipedia will essentially stay out of schools. This is one choice.

I suggested a 'mature content' notice previously in the chat room, but it
was dismissed by those in there. Basically, it is possible in preferences to
opt to get warned before you view 'mature content', or to opt to block it
altogether (with a password so it can't be unblocked in schools). Then, a
special category is made for such mature images and articles. This
ultimately also sorts the never-ending Autofellatio problem thats on-going.

I think that, with that level of being able to opt for censorship, schools
would use Wikipedia. That said, an article verification system would help
that case also, although that would be hard to implement.

- D. Hedley