[WikiEN-l] Re: April 1st 2006, IRC, the mailing list, and the Cabal

David 'DJ' Hedley spyders at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 3 00:06:44 UTC 2005

That would be undermining the very point that promotes Wikipedia, though.
"Anyone can edit" is false if anons can't edit. Theres a lot of people who
would just walk out if that became true.

I think making it read-only for cleanup on April Fool's is a bit of a bad
idea. Ideal case is the Pope - If it was read only, the site would be saying
he is in critical condition, and many other events would be unattended. Not
long ago Wikipedia was read-only for just 9 hours or so, and that was far
too long a wait for many.

Few would enjoy seeing 48 hours of reading Wikipedia, and nothing else.