[WikiEN-l] Re: Zero0000 has blocked Lance6Wins....apparentlycontray to Block

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 16:19:26 UTC 2004

>From: Matthew Larsen <mat.larsen at gmail.com>
>To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
>Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: Zero0000 has blocked
>Lance6Wins....apparentlycontray to Blocking policy
>Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 21:44:50 +0100
>
>Anyone can make a harmless mistake, and Zero has clearly blown this
>issue out of all proportians. Is it really worth making all this fuss
>over something as silly as 'where did this quote come from'

I think there is a more important issue here, and that it is not just Zero
who has "blown the issue out of all proportions."  The tolerance for editors
who willfully damage Wikipedia is astounding; known repeat offenders are
agonized over, sometimes for weeks at a time, before action is taken, and
even then actions are watered down in the hopes that one day, perhaps, with
the right tutoring, the editor might make some valuable edit or
contribution.  Even people who have been permanently banned for outrageous
behaviour are allowed back in on special "parole" conditions in the hopes
that enough Wikilove and supervision will turn them into productive
citizens.  The RfC, mediation, and Abitration processes work so slowly and
intermittently that many admins describe them as broken and essentially
useless (see, for example, [[User:Ambi/Thoughts_on_Dispute_Resolution]] .
And yet, when an admin who has made extremely valuable contributions to the
project appears to step over the line in a fairly mild way, the immediate
response *from the top* is that this person should be de-sysopped.

Now it's true no action has yet been taken, and given the glacial pace of
the various abuse "remedies" on Wikipedia, it's likely none ever will be
taken.  And I understand and support the need for holding an admin to a
significantly higher standard than a regular editor.  However, I still see a
big imbalance here between the way valuable contributors are treated and how
known trolls are coddled.  A number of extremely knowledgeable editors have
privately (and even publicly) stated that they would no longer edit articles
*in their areas of expertise* because the abuse and harassment they receive
from POV warriors and ad hominem abusers is so great that it is simply not
worth it for them to bother, particularly as there is no remedy for this
problem - or rather, there are remedies, but Wikpedia cannot or will not use
them.

I admit that some of the frustration I'm expressing here is based on two
solid weeks of daily personal attacks on me by 3 Wikipedia editors, and in
particular my feeling that there is little, if any, point in attempting to
use the various Wikipedia remedies to try to fix this situation.  And
perhaps it is character building for me to simply ignore the "slings and
arrows of outrageous fortune" rather than "take arms against a sea of
troubles, and by opposing end them," particularly when I think the arms in
question are ineffective.  Nevertheless, the underlying question is general
and remains; how many of Wikipedia's most valuable resources will be forced
to take lengthy or permanent self-imposed Wikibreaks as a result of this,
before the issue is not only taken seriously, but actually addressed?

Jay.

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology.
first two months FREE*.