[WikiEN-l] "Editorial purposes only" images

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:58:36 UTC 2004

Some sources of photographs are available under "editorial purposes
only" licenses, often with an explicit "Not for use in advertising."
An example is photographs from the United Nations.

We have decided that "noncommercial-only" images are not acceptable,
but I don't see anywhere that a decision has been made about this
category.  Editorial-only images are usable by commercial users as
well as noncommercial in an encyclopedia context, so their use would
not prohibit commercial redistribution of Wikipedia.  On the other
hand, it's a less free license than many we use.

Is there a pre-existing decision here, or somewhere it should be hashed out?

This has come up on [[Wikipedia:Possibly unfree images]].

-Matt (User:Morven)