[WikiEN-l] Criticism on Prem Rawat, formerly called Guru Maharaj Ji

Andries Krugers Dagneaux andrieskd at chello.nl
Sun Sep 19 21:08:06 UTC 2004

Ed Poor wrote:
>Anybody remember Guru Maharaj Ji?

>Well, there's a long running controversy at Wikipedia over how to
>characterize him. Apparently, it's the single biggest edit war we've
>ever had.

>One scholar has spent over 8 months researching the man, and a group of
>several dozen ex-followers is reverting like crazy.

>I think the way we handle this has important implications for our
future
>credibility.

>Ed Poor
>Bureaucrat and NPOV Maven

I do not think that there is a need to worry about Wikipedia's
reputation. User Gary D is doing excellent work on the articles
[[Criticism on Prem Rawat]] and [[Prem Rawat/temp1]]. For everybody's
information, I am the most vocal critic of [[Prem Rawat]] here in
Wikipedia.

It is not true that ex-followers are reverting like crazy. This has
never been the case with this article.

I became a member of the university library, just to get more reference
about him and I even went to a meeting of his students/followers.

I regret that one contributor received emails with threats because of
his edits on this article. I also regret that some ex-followers
discontinued contributing to the article because their edits were
reverted, sometimes without good reason.

Andries K.D.