[WikiEN-l] Re: [customer.support at orbimage.com: Illegal Use of SeaWiFS / OrbView-2 imagery]

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 17 05:02:15 UTC 2004

Delirium wrote:

> Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:
>
>> We will need to do a search to determine if we have other images from
>> this site as well.  The error was due to the assumption that if it is
>> on the Nasa site, and is a picture from space, it is in the public
>> domain.
>
> In a brief spot-check of 30 NASA images, no others were from SeaWiFS,
> so if there are any others, they seem to be in a small minority.  It's
> hard to check for them though, as they come from various NASA sites
> under the company's agreement with NASA, and not from a separate
> SeaWiFS site.  There is a http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov, but the only
> references we have to that site are external links, not images.  So
> I'm guessing we're okay.

There was actually one more from SeaWiFS, uploaded by the same user, who
was able to provide the source on a third one that seemed questionable.
The copyrighted one that needs to be removed is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Azov_sea_sat.jpg

It didn't occur to me until people started tracking down the Black Sea
image, but I'm guessing this one is also uploaded and used on other
Wikipedias.

--Michael Snow