[WikiEN-l] [customer.support at orbimage.com: Illegal Use of SeaWiFS / OrbView-2 imagery]

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Sep 15 23:04:56 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>We will need to do a search to determine if we have other images from
>this site as well.  The error was due to the assumption that if it is
>on the Nasa site, and is a picture from space, it is in the public
>domain.

In a brief spot-check of 30 NASA images, no others were from SeaWiFS, so
if there are any others, they seem to be in a small minority.  It's hard
to check for them though, as they come from various NASA sites under the
company's agreement with NASA, and not from a separate SeaWiFS site.
There is a http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov, but the only references we have
to that site are external links, not images.  So I'm guessing we're okay.

-Mark