[WikiEN-l] Why Academics are Useful to Wikipedia

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Mon Sep 13 22:09:21 UTC 2004

> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:33:17 -0400
> From: Delirium <delirium at hackish.org>
>
> Computer equipment is becoming so incredibly cheap (...)
>
> <snip>
>
> -Mark

Only in ''relative'' terms. True, the ''price per [[megaflop]]'', or
''price per megabyte'' of RAM or HD space, etc. -- these have all
plummeted. However: in order to get a working computer system of ANY
performance level, you will be lucky to get below a certain minimum
price level. It doesn't even matter what computer generation we're
talking about -- whether 386 / PowerPC 601 or G5 / Opteron. Sure, there
always is that hiatus, that moment where people/companies who are
upgrading obsessively give away their PCs for nothing. But securing one
of these is sheer luck. As a check on ebay will tell you, there is a
bottom line where things don't get cheaper, regardless of what
generation of PC you're buying.

Ironically, if you wanted to buy a good mid-class PC system 10 years
ago, you probably had to spend, say, about $1200. If you want to buy a
good mid-class PC system today, you have to spend -- surprise -- $1200!
Yes, true, today you get "a lot more Mega" for your buck, but Joe
Random User trying to buy a good mid-class PC has probably been
spending the same amount for the last decade or so and the reason for
that is that after the design phase is over, it costs about the same to
fab an Opteron system today as it used to cost to fab a 386 system.
(Back in the very old days it was different, and PCs did indeed cost
$12000 and more instead of $1200. But you're getting my drift.)

Of course marketing suits tell us that things are really, totally
getting cheaper -- well, there probably is ''some'' truth in that as
well. But less than most would think.

Also, I would observe that the "minimum prize level" I mentioned above
is still totally out of reach of (to make up a number), say 90% of the
world population. They just can't spare that money, ridiculously little
though it may seem to us.
Let's not forget that.

-- Jens [[User:Ropers|Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com