[WikiEN-l] Re: RE: no more PD satellite photos?

Dan Drake dd at dandrake.com
Mon Sep 13 19:22:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:03:15 UTC, Stan Shebs
<shebs at apple.com> wrote:

> One thing I noticed is that the article mentions images created by
> private companies and then bought for use by the government. It
> occurs to me that people might have been using FOIA as an endrun to
> avoid paying the companies for their images - find out that the
> government happens to be one of their customers, demand copies
> from the government under FOIA, and then use the images for free
> "because it's from the government".

Very interesting point, and that's probably what's involved. Now if
someone can teacht he government to say what it (supp0osedly) means on
those occasions when it's *not* making a power grab, things will really be
nice.

> I'm no conservative, but if a company has put up their own satellite
> and network, I think they're as deserving of making a profit from it
> as the portrait photographer down the street.

Yes, people have rights even when organized into corportations. (Almost
said that corporations have rights--a serious slip of the keyboard!)