[WikiEN-l] Why Academics are Useful to Wikipedia

Bill Konrad bkonrad123 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 13 18:37:54 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt R" <matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk>

> The scenario is that Wikipedia editors have found an expert with a proven
> track-record in the specific subject area of the article, and solicited
> his
> opinion. In this scenario, the expert's track-record provides some
> evidence
> that the expert has the expertise -- we wouldn't be relying on his or her
> self-evaluation. Such evidence could never be conclusive, but I think it's
> lot better than none at all.

Who is it that would evaluate their "proven track-record" and how would such
a decision reached? And for how many articles would this process need to be
repeated (it sounds like you're suggesting an expert review is needed for
all)?

Personally, I'm much more comfortable with the earlier suggestion that
groups of conscientious Wikipedians could fairly review a large portion of
Wikipedia articles AND come to recognize when some outside referee might be
needed--and solicit assistance only where needed.

Bkonrad