[WikiEN-l] Why Academics are Useful to Wikipedia

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun Sep 12 23:38:36 UTC 2004

On 09/12/04 22:23, Daniel Mayer wrote:
> --- Matthew Larsen <mat.larsen at gmail.com> wrote:

>>This is all well and good, having a review board and experts stuff and all...
>>But is it really necessary?

> Yes - we are getting slammed in the media (and by school teachers and
> librarians) for being an untrustable source *and* we want a way to approve
> content for publication.

1. We must do something.
2. This is something.
3. Therefore we must do this.

It's the jump from 2. to 3. that I'm entirely unconvinced by.

I suggest that a more Wiki-like process - something that plays to our
strengths - should be tried before instituting a review board, at least
inside Wikimedia rather than as a forked thing.

- d.