[WikiEN-l] A future for Nupedia?

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sat Sep 11 23:52:23 UTC 2004

On 09/10/04 07:42, Charles Matthews wrote:

> A) There is an argument that _someone else_ can do this - take selected WP
> articles, get them refereed, post them on a web site.  WP lays the golden
> eggs.

Yes. It's something for someone else to do somewhere.

I had a job interview recently where I was asked about Wikipedia - it's
mentioned at the end of my CV under 'interests'. So I had to give a one-liner
on Wikipedia - "a web page that anyone can edit, with version control ...
amazed it works as well as it does ... not up to life or death, but up to
pub quiz level [thanks to Jimbo for that one, at the recent UK talks!] ...
technical articles are usually very good ..." I think I might have recruited
one of the interviewers ;-) I did add: "A review process is being put
together."

> C) What happens to 'be bold' if people's qualifications to edit are an
> issue?

This is why we have to come up with a sane review process that lets the
wiki do the work.

> D) You are not going to get top academics interested.

Not with what we have now. And think of the reactions of, e.g., many of
wikien-l to academics such as user:172, who does just happen to be very
knowledgeable and good at what he does as well as unimpeachably qualified.

- d.