[WikiEN-l] A future for Nupedia?

Jens Ropers ropers at ropersonline.com
Sat Sep 11 14:42:03 UTC 2004

On 11 Sep 2004, at 00:47, wikien-l-request at Wikipedia.org wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:41:49 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
>
>> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2004-September/
>> 030521.html
>
> But this does nothing to address the criticism that our content is not
> vetted
> by experts. I agree that appeal to authority is largely a logical
> fallacy, but
> it nonetheless is followed like a religion by a great many people (who
> then
> blindly trust what the experts say). If we want to have them read our
> content,
> then we will have to give them that bit of comfort.
>
> -- mav

No. We. Don't.

Let me put it like this:

"But having an elected parliament and president does nothing to address
the criticism that our laws are not vetted by dukes and kings. Appeal
to authority may be flawed, but it's nonetheless followed by a great
many people. If we want them to abide our laws, then we will have to
give them that bit of comfort."

;-)

-- Jens [[User:Ropers|Ropers]]
     www.ropersonline.com